After several weeks of teasing, Volvo has now unveiled the all-electric version of its XC40 SUV, the Volvo XC40 Recharge.
The electric SUV is equipped with a two-engine engine, a range of over 250 miles (196 miles) (400 km), and more.
As we reported earlier today, Volvo is launching a new "Recharge" brand for their electric vehicles – starting with their first all-electric car.
The XC40 Recharge is an all-electric version of Volvo's already widely popular XC40 small SUV.
The Swedish carmaker built it on a dedicated modular platform to support an all-electric powertrain.
At the unveiling of the event today, they confirmed the specifications of this powertrain:
- A 78 kWh battery pack for a range of over 400 miles (based on WLTP
- Dual Motor 300 kW powertrain (a 1
- 11 kW onboard charger and 150 kW DC fast-charging capacity  0 to 60 mp in 4.7 seconds
- Top speed of 180 km / h
Here is a quick look at the Volvo XC40 electric powertrain Recharge:
As the car manufacturer previously announced, the XC40 Recharge is also the first Volvo to receive significant over-the-air sof tware updates.
It is also equipped with an infotainment system powered by Google's Android.
As for the design, anyone familiar with the petrol-powered XC40 will not be surprised, but there are a few changes to the electric version:
The vehicle weighs 2150-2250 kg (4,740 to 4,960 pounds), depending on options, and it can tow a trailer with a maximum weight of 1500 kg.
Håkan Samuelsson, CEO of Volvo Cars, commented on the unveiling of the car:
“We have said this several times before: for Volvo Cars, the future is electric. Today we are taking a big new step in that direction with the launch of our fully electric XC40 and Recharge car line. ”
They have not released details about prices and availability yet, but we will update as soon as we have more information. .
Volvo XC40 Recharge Exterior Dimensions:
- Length: 442.5 cm
- Width, (incl. Mirror): 203.4 cm
- Height, (incl. Shark): 165.2 cm
- Track, front: 160.0 cm
- Track, rear: 161.0 cm
- Ground height: 17.5 cm
Volvo XC40 Recharge Interior Dimensions:
- Main room without panoramic roof (front / rear ) (H61-1 / H61-2): 91.1 / 99.4 cm
- Ceiling height with panoramic roof (front / rear) (H61-1 SR / H61-2 SR): 95.5 / 97.4 cm
- Maximum headroom height, without sunroof (front) (H62-1): 103.0 cm
- Passage room width at shoulder height (front / rear) (W3-1 / W3-2): 144.0 / 142.9 cm
- Leg compartment (front / rear) (L34 / L51-2): 104.0 / 91.7 cm
- Cargo volume, including floor bearing age (V211-2): 413 liters
- Cargo volume, including floor storage (V214-1): 1 342 liters
- Frunk volume, with tool kit (EU + RoW): 31 liters
- Frunk volume, with tool kit (USA) WEIGHTS / MISCELLANEOUS: 26 liters
That's what I'm talking about. There's a lot to like here.
First, it is a beautiful vehicle. I would argue that the all-electric version is even more beautiful than the petrol-powered version.
The specifications are also on point.
However, I am a little concerned about efficiency.
At 78 kWh and a usable capacity of 75 kWh, I think the battery pack is perfect, but the vehicle is a bit heavy for size, and they strangely display the range as "over 200 miles EPA" and "over 400 km WLTP".  Anyway, I think they will easily be over 200 miles based on EPA, which will be good enough for most people.
Again, I'm excited about the electric XC40, but its success will depend on the price, which we don't know yet.
I want them to be able to keep it close to $ 50,000 USD, but I wouldn't be surprised if it's closer to $ 60,000.
What do you think? Let us know in the comments section below.
Subscribe to Electrek on YouTube for exclusive videos and subscribe to the podcast.