قالب وردپرس درنا توس
Home / Business / Tesla sued a family of the man who died in the Model S fire

Tesla sued a family of the man who died in the Model S fire



  • The family of Omar Awan, a Tesla tenant who died in February in a crash in which his Model S sedan took fire, sues the electric car manufacturer, claiming that "Model S & # 39; design was flawed and unreasonably dangerous."
  • In the lawsuit, family lawyers say a police officer and other visitors failed to reach Awan because the design of the Model S door handles prevented them from opening the doors of the car.
  • The Model S has distinctive door handles that align with the vehicle's sheet metal unless the key bolt is nearby, at which point they can extend beyond, allowing the driver or passenger to grab them and open the door.
  • The door handles on Awan's car would not extend to those at the fire scene, according to the lawsuit.
  • The attorneys representing Awan's family claim that Awan did not die from the impact of the collision. Instead, they say he was killed by the smoke that filled the car after the battery caught fire.
  • Visit the Business Insider website for more stories.

The family of Omar Awan, a tenant of Tesla who died in a crash in which his Model S sedan took fire, is suing the electric car manufacturer, claiming that "Model S & # 39; design was flawed and unreasonably dangerous."

Awan died in February after his Model S walked off a park road and struck a palm tree. The vehicle caught fire, and family lawyers claim in the lawsuit that a police officer and other on-site visitors failed to reach Awan because the design of the Model S door handles prevented them from opening the vehicle's doors.

The Model S has distinctive door handles that align with the vehicle's metal plates unless the key bolt is nearby, at which point they can extend beyond, allowing the driver or passenger to grab them and open the door. The door handles on Awan's car would not extend to those trying to save him, according to the lawsuit.

In February, a Tesla representative led Business Insider to the company's Model S emergency guidance, which says the vehicle must be opened from the inside if the exterior door handles do not work.

The company did not immediately respond to a request for comment on the lawsuit Thursday.

The lawyers representing Awan's family claim that Awan did not die from the impact of the collision. Instead, they say he was killed by the smoke that filled the car after the battery caught fire.

"Model S.'s design prevented them at the scene of the accident from getting Dr. Awan out of the cabin because the door handles failed," the lawsuit states. "Model S had an unreasonably dangerous fire risk that was not addressed through proper design. And Tesla failed to provide any appropriate, adequate, full or fair warnings about the risks associated with the door handles or smoke and fire."

Are you a current or former Tesla employee? Do you have an opinion on what it's like to work there? Contact this reporter at mmatousek@businessinsider.com. You can ask for more secure communication methods, such as Signal or ProtonMail, via email or Twitter direct message.


Source link