Elon Musk has a week to prepare his latest dispute with the Securities and Exchange Commission.
A federal judge on Thursday made a request from the two sides for more time to resolve a struggle over whether Mr Musk, Tesla's CEO, had broken a previous settlement with the commission that ruled his public statements on the company's finances.
SEC had asked the court to hold Mr. Musk contempt for a Twitter post on February 1[ads1]9, 19459006, where he said Tesla would produce about 500,000 cars this year. It was in contrast to the company's guidance a month earlier that the figure would be 360,000 to 400,000.
The Commission argued that the Twitter statement – which Mr. Musk later revised to comply with earlier guidance – violated a requirement for him to obtain approval from a Tesla lawyer for statements that include potentially market-sensitive information.
Herr. Musk's feud with S.E.C. derives from a Twitter post in August, claiming to have "funding secured" to take the company privately at $ 420 per share. It was later revealed that he referred to a much more embryonic suggestion than he had suggested. S.E.C. sued Mr. Musk and Tesla, referring to valuable fraud.
In a settlement of the case, Musk agreed to go down as a manager and get the lawyer to undergo written communication, including posts on Twitter, where he made material statements about the company.
At a hearing two weeks ago at the SEC's request that Mr. Musk was disdained, Judge Alison J. Nathan of the Federal District Court in Manhattan said the two sides should "take a deep breath" And put on "their Reasonable pants "to settle the case and set Thursday as deadline.
In a post approved by Judge Nathan on Thursday, the opponents said that "while we have not reached agreement", they had given over the phone for more than an hour a week "and continue to discuss potential resolution." They said they were going to report back to court next Thursday "indicating whether we have entered into an agreement in principle."
The talks go on as Tesl prepares two important public presentations next week. On Monday, the company plans to outline its efforts to develop self-propelled cars in an effort to convince Wall Street analysts that it has a competitive leadership in that technology. On Wednesday, the car manufacturer will report the results from the first quarter. Mr. Musk has said that the company lost money in the quarter after outsourcing profits in the third and fourth quarters of 2018.
Tesla's sales declined sharply in the first three months of the year. The company delivered only 63,000 cars, a decrease of 31 percent from the last three months of 2018. The decline appears to indicate that demand has softened in the US and that the company has not been able to increase sales in Europe and China as quickly as it had hoped for due to logistical challenges.
In recent weeks, Tesla has changed sales strategies several times, announcing that it would close most showrooms before the reversed course and cut prices just to raise them later. In the latest course correction, Tesla said last week that it would reveal online sales of the much-anticipated $ 35,000 version of its model 3 sedan, which it announced with great fanfare just a few weeks earlier. The company has also made other changes that effectively increased the price of the car to many customers.