The service said they were concerned that some affected products might be in people’s refrigerators or freezers.
“Consumers who have purchased these products are encouraged not to consume them. These products should be discarded or returned to the place of purchase,” it said.
The O103 strain of “Shiga toxin-producing E. coli”[ads1]; (STEC) bacteria was found during routine testing and so far there have been no reports of disease from ingestion of the products, according to the FSIS report.
It said people could get sick two to eight days after eating products contaminated with STEC. Most people recover within a week, but in rare cases can develop a more serious infection. “Hemolytic uremic syndrome (HUS), a type of kidney failure, is uncommon with STEC O103 infection,” said FSIS.
The CDC says that many strains of E. coli are harmless and live in the intestines of healthy people and animals, but those that produce Shiga toxin cause disease.
It estimates that there are 265,000 STEC infections each year in the United States.