It has now been over a week since Huawei was added to the US Government Entity List. Every day since, it has led to more bad news for the Chinese telecom.
So we decided to ask you if you think Huawei is having trouble. Here's what you might say.
Do you think Huawei could survive without Android?
Average over 36,000 votes over Android Authority's site, Twitter and Facebook, a majority of those who participated in this week's vote are concerned about the future of Huawei. Although the margins are thin, the comment section and answers are full of back and forth on why the company may or may not survive this ever-growing ordeal.
For now, it is still unclear which side is right. Huawei has received a limited 90-day license that is good through August. During this period, the company may remain in business with US-owned companies. If the consent is not extended, or if Huawei is not removed from the Entity List through trade war talks with China, it would have to roll out its custom operating system and find new (non-US) business partners to form important parts of its facilities.
Here are some of the best comments from last week's survey explaining why they voted the way they did:
- In China, their biggest market, I'm sure they're fine. But in Europe, where they were already number two and aiming to surpass Samsung as the continent's number 1 OEM, no Android will be a deadly blow to them.
- They sold over 100 million phones in China alone. They survive.
- It's probably a big blow for Huawei, how many of you will buy a phone that doesn't offer reliable security in the near future? They can develop or use other operating systems available in the market, but it will certainly give Huawei a blow. In China, due to the fierce competition, their market share may also come down. There is a great test time for Huawei …
- The ban will provide an opportunity for Huawei to start their own services instead of relying on Google. Only Google will lose.
- Huawei will be fine. Plus we need more competition, just two OS's not enough for this great planet, imo.
- They are so big, I think they will survive. But it's not going to be easy. They said they have been preparing for this year in advance, so as I said, they are going to be fine
- An operating system is one thing. A full featured app store with a great developer base is another. That's something Huawei doesn't have, and this is where their OS will fail.
That's it for this week, everyone. As always, thank you for voting, thank you for the comments, and don't forget to let us know what you were thinking about the results below.