Containers of Johnson's Baby Powder made by Johnson and Johnson appear on a shelf on July 13, 2018 in San Francisco, California.
Justin Sullivan | Getty Images
A federal judge on Friday refused Johnson & Johnson's request to transfer approx. 2400 lawsuits over his talc-based baby powder for a district court in Delaware, and sent the case back to state courts.
J & J asked to transfer the case, claiming that the baby powder contained asbestos and caused ovaries and other cancers, from state courts to a district court in Delaware after the talker Imerys, with his own speeches, sought Chapter 1
"The judges of those countries that are already dealing with these cases are better placed to hear the claims of them than this court, which had to hear thousands of cases and apply different state laws to each," she said.
The denial leaves J & J to the grace of dozens of different courts and judges. State courts have so far delivered J&J mixed results. A jury in Missouri requested that the company pay $ 4.69 billion to 22 women who claimed the company's talcum powder contained asbestos and caused them to develop ovarian cancer.
"We are disappointed with this decision, which would have streamlined the process of reviewing current affairs and increasing overall efficiency for all parties involved," a J & J spokeswoman said in a statement.
The company said its position that the baby powder is "safe and not causing cancer has not changed," and that it will continue to "vigorously defend" its products in court.
J & J is facing more than 14,000 lawsuits claiming that baby powder causes ovarian cancer and mesothelioma.
WATCH: & # 39; We undoubtedly believe & # 39; our baby powder does not contain asbestos: Johnson & Johnson CEO