AUSTIN, Texas (KBTX) – As most parts of Texas are seeing record highs in the middle of a heat wave, ERCOT is asking Texas to save electricity.
ERCOT asks Texans and Texas companies to voluntarily save electricity, Monday, July 11 between 14-20. ERCOT also issued a guard for an estimated shortage of reserve capacity from kl. 14:00 to 20:00. At this point, no system-wide power outage is expected.
ERCOT encourages residents to save power when they can by turning up thermostats a degree or two, if it is comfortable, and postponing the operation of large appliances or pool pumps for afternoon hours.
ERCOT says that factors that drive the need to save energy are due to the record high demand for electrical energy. According to a statement, the heat wave that has swept over Texas and large parts of the central United States is driving increased electricity use. ERCOT says that low wind is also a factor, while solar power generally reaches almost full production capacity, wind production currently generates significantly less than what it historically generated in this time period. Current estimates show that wind production reaches less than 1[ads1]0 percent of capacity.
ERCOT’s full statement can be read below.
AUSTIN, TX, July 10, 2022 – With extremely hot weather leading to record power needs across Texas, the Electric Reliability Council of Texas (ERCOT) issues a Conservation Appeal, asking Texans and Texas businesses to voluntarily save electricity, Monday 11th. July between From 14:00 to 20:00, ERCOT also issued a guard for an estimated shortage of reserve capacity from 14:00 to 20:00. At this time, no system-wide outages are expected.
Conservation is a reliability tool ERCOT has distributed more than four dozen times since 2008 to successfully manage network operations. This notice is given when estimated reserves may fall below 2300 MW for 30 minutes or more.
ERCOT encourages all electrical customers to visit the Public Utility Commissions (PUC) Power to Save or their power provider websites for important conservation tips. M
ERCOT continues to use all available tools to manage the grid efficiently and reliably, including the use of reserve power and encouragement to large electrical customers who have volunteered to reduce energy consumption.
ERCOT emphasizes that the call for preservation is limited to 14-20
Factors driving the need for this important action from customers:
- Record high electrical demand. The heat wave that has swept over Texas and large parts of the central United States is driving increased electrical use. Other network operators operate under similar conservative operating programs as ERCOT due to the heat wave.
- Little wind. While solar power generally reaches almost full production capacity, wind production currently generates significantly less than what it historically generated during this time period. Current estimates show that wind production reaches less than 10 percent of capacity.
Total expected demand is 79,671 MW.
How to track power demand
· See daily forecast for peak demand, current load and available generation at http://www.ercot.com.
· Follow ERCOT on Twitter (@ERCOT_ISO) and Facebook (Electric Reliability Council of Texas).
· Sign up for the ERCOT mobile app (available for download from the Apple App Store and Google Play).
· Subscribe to the EmergencyAlerts list at http://lists.ercot.com.
Public Utility Commission of Texas Hotline – 1-888-782-8477
Copyright 2022 KBTX. All rights reserved.