Unilever voluntarily recalled products from brands such as TRESemme, Suave, Dove and more due to concerns about benzene.
Unilever recently announced a voluntary recall of 19 popular dry shampoo aerosol products sold in the United States due to concerns about benzene, a chemical known to cause cancer.
Exposure to benzene, which is classified as a human carcinogen, can occur through inhalation, ingestion or skin contact and can result in cancers, including leukemia and blood cancers, according to the US Department of Health and Human Services.
People are exposed to benzene daily through things like tobacco smoke and laundry detergents, but exposure can be considered dangerous depending on the dose and duration of contact, according to the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention.
Unilever said it is withdrawing the products “out of an abundance of caution” and that the company has yet to receive any reports of adverse events related to the recall to date.
SEE ALSO: Hair straightening chemicals may be linked to risk of uterine cancer, study finds
The recalled products were manufactured before October 2021 and retailers have been told to pull the affected products from their shelves.
A full list of the affected products and consumer codes can be found here. No other products from Unilever or its brands are affected by this recall, the company states in a press release.
The list of affected products includes:
- Dove dry shampoo volume and fullness
- Dove dry shampoo fresh coconut
- Dove dry shampoo fresh and floral
- Dove Dry Shampoo Ultra Clean
- Dove Dry Shampoo Invisible
- Dove Dry Shampoo Detox and Purify
- Dove Dry Shampoo Clarifying Charcoal
- Dove dry shampoo Go Active
- Nexxus dry shampoo refreshing mist
- Nexxus Inergy Foam Shampoo
- Suave dry shampoo hair refresher
- Suave Professional’s dry shampoo refreshes and revives
- TRESemmé volumizing dry shampoo
- TRESemmé dry shampoo fresh and clean
- TRESemmé Pro Pure Dry Shampoo
- Bedhead Oh Bee Hive Dry Shampoo
- Bed Head Oh Bee Hive Volumizing Dry Shampoo
- Bed Head Dirty Secret Dry Shampoo
- Bed Head Rockaholic Dirty Secret Dry Shampoo
The recall is carried out with the knowledge of the US Food and Drug Administration. Unilever urged consumers to stop using the affected aerosol dry shampoo products immediately and visit the company’s website for eligible product refunds.
Copyright © 2022 ABC News Internet Ventures.