USA – One person has died and nine others were ill after allegedly eating ground beef contaminated with salmonella, according to the Centers for disease control and prevention.
The CDC reported the cases Friday afternoon from six states – California, Colorado, Iowa, Kansas, Oklahoma and Texas.
Officials say that eight of the ten people affected had to be hospitalized. The CDC says that salmonella usually only has a 20% hospitalization rate.
Those who became ill have allegedly consumed various brands of meat dough products purchased from different stores.
CDC does not recommend that consumers stop eating thoroughly cooked ground beef or that retailers stop selling ground beef. However, they suggest that people avoid consuming beef that is not cooked to a temperature of 160 ° F.
Symptoms of salmonella poisoning include diarrhea, fever and abdominal cramps that occur 12 to 72 hours after being exposed to the bacteria. Very young children and those over 65 are most prone to severe symptoms.
This outbreak investigation is ongoing. FOX 8 will provide more information as CDC makes it available.
More about salmonella, here.