The New Food Economy said that the fiber bowls are exposed to chemicals that can cause cancer.
One study said that buns are treated with PFAs which are also always called chemicals.
PFAs help the dishes to keep warm, wet and oily foods. The Environmental Protection Agency said that these compounds do not break down in the human body and can accumulate over time.
The chemicals also seep into the soil when the bowls break down, leading to toxic compost.
As New Food Economy wrote:
The bowls used in restaurants like Chipotle and Sweetgreen are not really compostable, as it has been claimed. Instead, they are likely to make compost more toxic, increasing the chemical load on the soil itself and the water they were supposed to help improve. And rather than deteriorating quickly, they contain potentially dangerous ingredients that never break down. Not in five years, and not in 500.
San Francisco bans molded fiber balls like those used on Chipotle, effective January 1
Copyright © 2019 WTVD-TV. All Rights Reserved.