Bill Gates acquires Jeff Bezos as the richest person in the world for $ 110 billion after Microsoft secured a $ 10 billion contract with the Pentagon and Amazon's stock decline
- Microsoft founder Bill Gates topped Amazon Jeff Bezos as the richest person in the world
- Gates has a total net worth of $ 110 billion, while Bezos has $ 109 billion as of Friday
- Gates received the title briefly in October, but this is his first official recovery in more than two years
- Microsoft shares are up nearly 48 percent this year and the company signed a $ 10 billion contract with the Pentagon
- Bezos got a financial hit after his divorce from longtime spouse Mackenzie Bezos this year
Microsoft founder and billionaire philanthropist Bill Gates has surpassed Amazon's Jeff Bezos as the world's richest person, recovers divorced for the first time in more than two years.
As of Friday, the Bloomberg Billionaire Index reported that Gates' total net worth comes in at a staggering $ 110 billion.
Gates & # 39; were able to regain the title because Microsoft shares are up nearly 48 percent this year and a recent $ 485 million gain, which helped bolster the technology company's value.
Microsoft's Bill Gates (left) has officially topped Amazon's Jeff Bezos (right) as the richest person in the world with a combined net worth of $ 110 billion
Microsoft also knocked out Amazon for a lucrative $ 10 billion- data processing agreement with the Pentagon.
The contract name Joint Enterprise Defense Infrastructure, or JEDI – includes Microsoft that provides cloud storage of sensitive military data and technology for the Department of Defense over a ten-year period.
Awarding the contract to Microsoft was a huge loss to Amazon, marking another notch in the ongoing war between the two global tech giants.
Gates & # 39; (image) company Microsoft secured $ 10 billion contract with Pentagon in October, which upset Amazon's attempt to confirm the agreement
The world's 10 richest people
The Bloomberg Billionaire Index lists the following:
1. Bill Gates – $ 110 Billion
2. Jeff Bezos – $ 109 Billion
3. Bernard Arnault – $ 103 Billion
4. Warren Buffet – $ 86.6 Billion
5. Mark Zuckerberg – $ 74.5 Billion
6. Amancio Ortega – $ 67.6 Billion
7. Larry Page – $ 64.3 Billion
8. Sergey Brin – $ 62.4 Billion
9. Charles Koch – 61.7 Billion
10. Julia Flesher Koch – $ 61.7 Billion
Gates commissioned Bezos shortly last month when Amazon reported that profits for the three months ending in September fell nearly 28 percent last year.
Bezos is currently in second place with a combined net worth of $ 109 billion, up to a maximum of $ 166 billion in September 2018.
Amazon's stock is down 2 percent, according to Bloomberg, and Bezos lost $ 845 million.
Amazon CEO recently cut the economy after his divorce from ex-wife Mackenzie Bezos this year.
The settlement prompted Mackenzie to receive 25 percent of Bezos & # 39; s stake in Amazon and became one of the company's largest shareholders.
She is worth a reported $ 35 billion, but Mackenzie has publicly shared her plans to donate a significant portion to charities such as the Giving Pledge.
In a letter she wrote: & # 39; I have a disproportionate amount of money to share. My approach to philanthropy will continue to be well thought out. It will take time and effort and care. But I won't wait. And I will continue with it until the safe is empty. & # 39;
Jeff Bezos (right) faced a significant cut in the economy after he divorced wife Mackenzie Bezos (left) in 2019
Gates & # 39; has a similar philanthropic spirit and has donated $ 35 billion to the Bill & Melinda Gates Foundation since 1994.
Recently, Gates talked about a proposed wealth tax campaigned by some Democratic political candidates, including Senator Elizabeth Warren.
He revealed that he already paid more than $ 10 billion in taxes.
Gates said, "If I had to pay $ 20 billion, that's fine. When you say I have to pay $ 100 billion, I start to do a little math about what I have left. & # 39;