3 ways you can claim Social Security before 62

We pay social security throughout working life, but we usually can't touch the money until we turn 62. This may seem far away, especially for those who count on social security to help them make ends meet. What many people do not realize is that there are exceptions to the 62 rule. If any of the following scenarios apply to you, you may start claiming insurance in advance of the plan, and in some cases right away.

1. You are disabled

Social Security is best known as a pension benefit, but it also helps the disabled and their families to cover their basic expenses. The federal government has strict rules on what it considers to be invalid, and you must file a claim asking for benefits to begin the approval process.

The Social Security Administration will review your case to confirm that you are in fact disabled and that you have worked the correct number of years to qualify for benefits. The time you have to work depends partly on your age at the time of the disability, but it is never more than 1[ads1]0 years.

  $ 100 Social Security Bill

Image Source: Getty Images.

The Social Security Agency checks in regularly with you to confirm that you are still disabled. Improving your condition to the point where you can do significant work again can end your disability benefit, but you will still be eligible for retirement benefits when you turn 62.

2. Your spouse or spouse is dead

Surviving spouses may claim Social Security benefits based on the spouse's working record of 60 years or as early as 50 years if they are disabled. If you care for the deceased spouse or ex-spouse's child who is disabled or under 16, there is no age limit for when you can apply. Widows and widowers must have been married to their spouse for at least nine months in order to qualify, and ex-spouses must have been married for at least 10 years. Those who claim 50 years of social security must also meet the administration's eligibility criteria. If you remarry before 60, or 50 if you are disabled, you will no longer be eligible for survivor benefits based on your late spouse's work assignment. Remarrying at this age will not affect your survivor benefits.

A former spouse's benefits will not affect the benefits of the deceased worker's new spouse if he or she remarries. Those interested in claiming benefits based on their deceased spouse's work record must still meet the age requirements that current spouses must meet.

3. You are an eligible child

Eligible children for deceased and disabled workers and workers 62 and older who are eligible for Social Security benefits may qualify for their own benefit. Eligible children are children who are:

  • Unmarried.
  • Under 18 or up to 19 years of age if they were still enrolled in a primary or secondary school.
  • 18 or older if they were disabled before 22.

In certain circumstances, the Social Security Agency will also pay benefits for grandchildren, grandchildren, great-grandchildren and adopted children. Although it is rare, if you become a parent or guardian of a child after you have already started claiming social security benefits, you can notify the administration and the child may be eligible for benefits.

How to apply for Social Security benefits [19659003] If you think you may qualify for Social Security under one of the circumstances above, you must notify the Social Security Administration by telephone or in person. You may also be able to apply online under some circumstances, but those who hope to claim benefits for survivors may not do so. You must know your social security number and have a birth certificate and latest W-2 or tax return if you are self-employed. If you claim benefits on someone else's work journal, you will need this person's latest W-2 or tax return.

Have a marriage certificate or divorce certificate and the deceased worker's death certificate on hand if you require benefits on the deceased spouse's or ex-spouse's employment record. You also need the child's birth certificate if you claim benefits for them or for yourself because you care for the deceased spouse's or spouse's minor or disabled children.

If you are a disabled worker when you claim Social Security benefits, you must provide the following:

  • Names, addresses and telephone numbers of the doctors, hospitals and clinics you have visited and the dates of your visits.
  • Name and dosage of all medicines.
  • Any medical records you have in your possession.
  • Laboratory and Test Results.
  • A summary of where you worked before your disability and what kind of work you did.

It will take some time to start receiving checks when you have applied for Social Security benefits, especially if you are applying for disability benefits, because the government must investigate your claim, so don't wait to submit your papers.

There is no way to know exactly how much you will receive in a month-to-month expiry until you contact the Social Security Administration because benefits are based on a compound formula that takes into account average monthly income, adjusted for inflation (or that of the person whose the task for which you claim benefits). When applying for benefits, the agency should notify you how much you will receive per month.

There is no reason not to claim these benefits if you are qualified. You may owe taxes on some of them, depending on how much you earn during the year, but these monthly checks can make a big difference to your financial well-being, especially if you struggle to take care of yourself or your children as follows. the passing of the spouse. Contact the Social Security Administration to see what you need to do to start claiming benefits.

Source link

Back to top button